If you are looking for the best push lawn mower under $300, you might find this buyer’s guide helpful. Here we reviewed 5 most popular push lawn mowers on the market. This type of lawn mowers is a great option for most homeowners who have a small or medium-sized lawn to take care of. If you are currently using a lawn cutting service, buying your own lawn mower should help you save money in the long run. You’ll be able to cut the grass with ease without the help of landscapers. It will help in making your yard look healthier and more beautiful.
Before buying a push lawn mower, researching thoroughly is recommended to know what type of lawn mower is suited for your needs, especially if you are on a budget. There are many options to choose from when you are looking for the top walk-behind lawn mower for $300 or less, but you have to consider some factors such as the lawn mower’s attachments, the width of the blades, its life span, and its power source. To help you in your decision-making process, we’ve listed down some of the best push mowers under $300 together with their features, advantages, and disadvantages.
Reviews of Push Lawn Mowers for $300 or Less
|Cutting Path Width
|1. GreenWorks 25022
|12 Amp electrical motor
|2. Sun Joe MJ401E-PRO
|13 Amp electrical motor
|3. Lawn Boy 17732
|Kohler XTX OHV gasoline engine
|4. Yard Machines 140cc 4-cycle
|140cc OHV gasoline engine
|5. Husqvarna LC121P
|163cc Briggs & Stratton gasoline engine
These are ranked based on the combination of customer reviews and thorough research. All products listed above are high quality, regardless of what you’ll choose.
1. Greenworks 20-inch 12 Amp Corded Lawn Mower (25022)
You don’t have to waste time and money just to buy gasoline for your lawnmower over and over again since Greenworks 25022 is powered by electricity. You will be saved from the pollution that it might bring, which can also be harmful to the environment.
Its powerful 12-Amp engine is very durable, which can withstand extreme weather conditions and has a 20-inch steel blade with a wide cutting path that cuts up to 3 ½” of grass to cut it more precisely. The wheels of this lawnmower are 7” in the front and 10” in the rear that helps you to maneuver the mower easily. Since it is electric-operated with a push button, you don’t have to yank the pulley just to start its engine. It also has a 4-year warranty and they will cover the costs of repair or replace your mower depending on the damage.
- 12 Amp, 24v electric motor
- Single lever 7-position height adjustment
- Foldable handles
- 7” front wheels and 10” rear wheels
- 20-inch steel deck with a wide cutting path
- Has a 3-in-1 feature that includes a bag, mulching bag, and side discharge
- No gas required
- Manual drive system
- Warranty of 4 years
- Affordable compared to gasoline counterparts.
- No gas needed.
- Powerful engine.
- Cuts both tall and wet grass.
- Can withstand different weather conditions.
- Offers mulching and bagging option.
- Handles allow folding for compact storage.
- No cords and plug included. You have to buy a separate outdoor extension.
- The motor gets dirty easily because the top cover isn’t sealed properly.
What Others Are Saying:
Greenworks 25022’s 5-star rating on Amazon is 65%, which means a lot of customers are satisfied with the lawn mower’s performance. One of the most common things that customers complain about the product is that after a couple of use within months, it didn’t work anymore.
2. Sun Joe MJ401E-PRO 14-inch, 13 Amp Electric Lawn Mower
This lawn mower uses electricity as its power source also, just like Greenworks 25022. A 14-inch wide path is quite a bit more narrow than Greenwork’s 20-inch cutting blade. Sun Joe lawn mower does come with a three-position manual height adjustment and a powerful 13-Amp engine to get the job done.
For more convenient grass disposal, Sun Joe MJ401E is equipped with a 10.6-gallon grass catcher bag and a discharge chute to discharge the clippings safely without making the mower deck clog. Other than that, this is ETL-approved, which means the product has complied with all the standards of the industry with two years warranty.
- 13-Amp motor
- 14” durable steel blade
- 10.6-gallon grass catcher bag
- 3-position manual height adjustment
- Discharge Chute
- Warranty of 2 years
- Easy-to-use for small yards
- Extremely affordable
- Easy to maneuver
- Looks like a toy
- Blade height below 2” can’t be cut
- Needs cleaning and maintenance
What Others Are Saying:
Amazon’s 5-star rating for Sun Joe MJ401E-PRO is 57% with customers saying it’s affordable and worth it. However, the 1-star rating they got is about 11%, with complaints that it’s not working anymore after used multiple times.
3. Lawn-Boy 21-Inch Push Lawn Mower (17730)
Unlike the two mowers above, Lawn-Boy 17730 is gas-powered but it is easy to use. The Kohler XTX OHV engine takes a whole new level of care for your lawn because of its operator-centric design and tough performance to provide user-friendly maintenance. An oil change is not required for the engine as well.
You can customize the mowing height because of Lawn Boy’s Two-point Height-of-Cut system and get superior quality of cut and excellent mulching capabilities with its 21-inch steel deep dome deck, which is lightweight yet very durable. A bag for your clippings is also included, which can hold up to 18.6 gallons. A Tri-Cut cutting system, which includes a discharge bag, mulching bag, and a side discharge is also attached in this mower. Lawn Boy 17730 has a two-year warranty and the manufacturer promises that if your mower won’t start within one or two pulls, the company will fix it for free.
- Kohler XTX OHV engine
- 21-inch steel deck
- 2-point Height-of-cut System
- 3-in-1 Mulch, Side Discharge, and Bag
- Bag capacity is 18.6 gallons
- Full coverage warranty of 2 years
- The engine is durable and won’t overheat even if used for hours
- You can easily discharge the clippings with its 3-in-1 feature
- Easy to maneuver and use
- The bag tends to bow in the mower once it’s full
What Others Are Saying:
A lot of customers who rated the product with 1 star in Amazon are complaining about one thing: its design. Most of them say that the mower is poorly-designed, especially in the deck and rim. Despite this, 58% of the overall rating is 5 or 4 stars, which still proves that its quality and performance is good.
4. Yard Machines’ 140cc 20-Inch Push Mower
To get the job done quickly for small to medium-sized yards, Yard Machines’ 20-inch push mower is equipped with a durable and powerful 140cc OHV engine and delivers efficient, solid power. This is easy to maneuver around shrubs and tight corners because of its 20-inch compact frame with side discharge, sturdy loop handle, and wheels with 7” diameter in the front and rear. You can also adjust the mower into three different mowing heights easily using the manual height adjuster in it.
However, if you’re residing in California, you won’t be able to purchase one since it’s not for sale in that area. It’s also important to know that the warranty for Yard Machines 140cc push mower is just one year and with limited conditions only.
- 140cc OHV engine
- Compact 20” deck with a side discharge
- 7” by 7” wheels on the front and rear
- Height adjustment of up to 3.75”
- Sturdy loop handle
- Tri-cut Height System
- 1-year limited warranty
- The engine is powerful enough to cut the grass for an average-sized lawn
- Its wheel’s height can be adjusted to three different height positions
- It’s easy to start compared to other gas-powered lawn mowers
- Wheels are evenly-sized to maneuver the mower easily
- No bag attachment for lawn clippings
- Not self-propelled
- No mulch capability
- If you have some physical constraints, starting this type of mower isn’t suitable for you
- It only has 1-year limited warranty
- Not available in California
- Don’t work well on tall grass
What Others Are Saying:
The product got 66% of 5- and 4-star ratings on Amazon, which is an excellent percentage. However, 25% of the customers gave 1- or 2-star ratings only and complain that after months, the mower is already dead and doesn’t work.
5. Husqvarna’s LC121P 163cc Lawn Mower
Husqvarna LC121P 163cc lawnmower is powered by an engine which is manufactured by Stratton and Briggs which shows that it’s durable and powerful just like the rest. It is an efficient push mower with high wheels and compact design for easy maneuverability, especially in tight places.
This mower is perfect in small to medium-sized flat yards that can cut weeds, overgrowth, and grass easily because of its 9-position height adjustment and a 21-inch durable steel blade that allows you to cut a lot of grass in just one pass. A 3-in-1 cutting option is also included in this push mower with a 17.7-gallon grass bag.
Other than that, if your shed’s space is quite small, you can save up some space when storing this mower since its handle is foldable and has an over-molded comfort grip that provides added control and comfort for you while using the product. Gas is needed for Husqvarna LC121P and has a full warranty of three years.
- 163cc Briggs and Stratton engine
- ReadyStart Ignition
- No oil filter
- 3-in-1 cutting option (Bag, Side charge, Mulch)
- 21” steel blade
- 8” front wheels and 11” rear wheels
- Nine-position height adjustment
- Handles are foldable
- 17.7-gallon grass bag
- Warranty of 3 years
- Low vibration
- 3-in-1 cutting options
- Easy to assemble and use
- Oil is included in the package
- Wide blade for efficient cutting
- 9-position cutting height
- Lock issues in the wheel adjuster
- Small bag capacity
What Others Are Saying:
Amazon’s 5- and 4-star ratings for this product are about 41%, which is still a great percentage for positive reviews. The most common complaint about this lawn mower is that the height adjuster won’t lock.
The five lawn mowers listed above are all high-quality, however, our best pick will be the Greenworks 25022 because of its quiet engine, warranty, and 5-star rating which truly shows that a lot of customers are impressed with its performance.
Now that we have listed the best push lawn mowers available in the market, it is up to you to decide which one is right for you and your needs. Based on our review and our research, customers mostly complain about a dead engine after months of use so make sure to take a note for this before purchasing. Happy shopping!