Porter Cable is an American company that has been in the business of manufacturing high-quality tools for woodworkers and other professionals since 1906. Porter-Cable began operations in the Porter Brothers’ and F.E. Cable machine shop in Syracuse, New York.
The company became popular due to the production of their electric belt sanders and later they introduced the handheld circular saw, invented by Art Emmons. Porter-Cable was later sold to Rockwell Corporation, which cut back on the quality and production costs to compete with Black and Decker and the Porter-Cable name was almost wiped out.
Later, in the 80s, when Delta Machinery acquired the power tool division of Rockwell, the Porter-Cable brand name was revived and the quality of production was also improved. Today, Porter-Cable tools are designed and engineered to deliver state-of-the-art tools that offer maximum value.
Review of the Porter-Cable PCCK617L6 20V MAX Lithium-Ion 6-Tool Combo Kit
Looking for a complete toolkit that provides a wide range tools for your professional and DIY jobs? You can definitely consider the Porter-Cable PCCK617L6 Combo Kit that comes with 2 lithium-ion batteries and a free USB charger.
The Porter-Cable 20V power tools provide excellent performance and power and enable you to accomplish a large range of applications at your worksite and home. The tools are ergonomically designed and lightweight, which makes the maneuverability and use of the tools very easy.
The toolkit includes an oscillating tool, circular saw, hex impact driver, reciprocating saw, ½-inch driver/drill, blades, bits, sanding papers, scrappers, a flashlight, 2 batteries, USB charger, battery charger and a carrying bag.
- ½-inch Drill/Driver: This lightweight tool has a compact design and is equipped with a 2-speed gearbox, an ergonomic handle that reduces hand fatigue and an inbuilt LED light that helps you see the dark work areas better.
- ¼-inch Hex Impact Driver: The hex driver delivers 2,900 maximum RPM, 3,000 BPM, 1,450 torque and features a quick release chuck.
- Circular Saw: This is equipped with a 3,700 RPM high-performance motor, a bevelling shoe, and a 5½-inch 18-tooth carbide blade.
- Reciprocating Saw: The saw has a high-performance drive train, tool-less blade release and delivers variable speed.
- Oscillating Tool: This a tool-free unit that delivers 18,000 oscillations/minute and is ideal for cutting, scraping and sanding applications.
- Flashlight: The toolkit contains a flashlight that is compact and the pivoting type, which provides hands-free lighting.
- USB Charger: The USB charger can charge 2 small electronic devices which are compatible at the same time. The USB charger is very convenient and can be used anywhere.
The Porter-Cable PCCK617L6 Combo Kit can be used for various applications such as drilling metal and wood, metal and wood demolition, driving screws, cutting, sanding, scraping, etc. The Porter-Cable 20V power tools are very reliable and they come with a 3-year limited warranty. The best part about buying the Porter-Cable PCCK617L6 Combo Kit is that buying this tool’s combo can save you a lot of money compared to buying each tool individually.
Features of the Porter-Cable PCCK617L6 Combo Kit
- Compact 20V Max cordless lithium-ion ½-inch drill driver with high-performance 283 watts motor, 2-speed gearbox, ½-inch keyless chuck and an inbuilt LED light.
- Lightweight and compact 20V Max cordless lithium-ion 1/4-inch hex impact driver with a high-performance motor, quick-release chuck, built-in LED light and onboard bit storage.
- 20V Max cordless lithium-ion 51/2-inch circular saw with high-performance 3,700 RPM motor with
- 51/2-inch 18-tooth carbide blades suitable for varied cutting applications.
- Comes with a carrying bag.
Pros and Cons
So, if you’re looking for some handy tools to help you with your jobs around your home, then Porter-Cable tools are a great, value for money buy.
Porter-Cable vs Dewalt
While Dewalt is considered among the industry leaders in the production of best-of-the-class power tools for DIYers as well as professionals and is used from home garages to construction sites, Porter-Cable manufactures tools that are more in the budget category. Porter-Cable tools are more suited for light and regular use around the home and the best part is that they are very affordable.
Today, both Porter-Cable, as well as Dewalt, are owned by the conglomerate, Stanley Black, and Decker. Most of the manufacturing for both the companies, Porter-Cable and Dewalt was outsourced and the assembly of the products mainly took place in Mexico and China. However, a few years back, Dewalt moved their assembly back to the US and opened 7 new manufacturing facilities. However, Porter-Cables tools are still manufactured abroad.
Dewalt tools are superior-quality and one of the best in the market. If you want tools for some serious, heavy-duty jobs like remodeling or reconstruction, then Dewalt tools are worth the investment. However, if you’re looking for tools to have around the home for some handy repair jobs around the house, like light woodwork or repairing some furniture, then Porter-Cable cordless tools are worth the buy.
In terms of the warranty offered by both the companies, all the handheld power tools from Dewalt come with a standard 3-year warranty, i.e. any breaks or failure in tools due to manufacturing or material faults will be repaired or replaced.
Porter-Cable Power Tools Warranty
Porter-Cable offers a 3-year warranty on all its products and a 1-year warranty on all its reconditioned products. If the products have any defects because of faulty workmanship or materials, Porter-Cable will repair the product without any charges for a period of 3 years from the purchase date. However, parts failure because of tool abuse and normal wear due to usage is not covered by the warranty.
Porter-Cable offers 1-year free maintenance of the tool and replacement of worn parts due to normal usage. The company also gives a no questions asked, 90-day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with your power tool, nailer or laser tool. The batteries come with a 2-year warranty.